Formed from portions of the ‘R’-
ROUTE: From E. 5th Street and Central Avenue, west on 5th to Beaudry Street, south on Beaudry to W. 6th Street, west on 6th to right-of-way along Gramercy Place, north on right-of-way to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Larchmont Boulevard, north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue.
established on west end at
SEPTEMBER 10, 1937: Turnback service established at
1943: Short lived turnback
service, in conjunction with the ‘R’-Line, using the loop formed by W. 6th,
Gramercy right-of-way, W. 3rd and Vermont Avenue. The ‘3’-Line operated clockwise, the ‘R’-Line
counter clockwise. Layover was on spur
tracks on the right-of-way section (busses still follow this pattern.) The turnback at W.
AUGUST 3, 1947: Service on W. 3rd and Larchmont taken over by ‘R’-Line, service on W. 6th by the ‘3’-(trolley bus) Line.