A-WesT ADAMS AND North MAIN STREET LINE (1920-1924)

 

Formed from the Adams Avenue leg of the West Adams and Hooper Avenue Line, and the North Broadway and N. Main Street leg of the Grand Avenue and North Broadway Line on May 4, 1920. The Adams Avenue portion was cut back from Adams and Alsace to Montclair Street and Adams Avenue from its former terminal at Adams and Alsace Avenues, with a shuttle car taking over this portion of the route.

 

ROUTE: From Adams Avenue and Montclair Street, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to W. 24th Street. East on 24th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to W. Venice Boulevard. East on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street, east on 1st to Spring Street. North on Spring to Main Street, north on Main to Sunset Boulevard, then (northbound only) west on Sunset to North Broadway. North on Broadway to Lincoln Park Avenue, south on Lincoln Park to Mission Road, (southbound only) south on Mission Road and Main Street to Sunset Boulevard, where it rejoined northbound line back to the Adams Avenue terminal. The L-West 11th Street Line operated in the opposite direction around this loop.

 

JUNE 12, 1923: Re-extended from Adams Avenue and Montclair Street back to Adams and Alsace Avenues; shuttle service eliminated.

 

AUGUST 1924: Loop service on Broadway, Lincoln Park Avenue, Mission Road, Main Street to and from Sunset Boulevard with the L-Line eliminated, all service to Lincoln Park Avenue and Mission Road was now by the A-Line, with service on Main by the L-Line.

 

DECEMBER 3, 1924: Split in two: A-2 West Adams and North Main Street Line; and the A-3 West Adams and Lincoln Park Line. Officially these were the A-2 and A-3-Lines, but only the 2 and 3 were displayed in route-sign boxes.

 

A-2-WEST ADAMS AND NORTH MAIN STREET LINE (1924-1926)

 

Formed from the original A-West Adams and North Main Street Line, December 3, 1924.

 

ROUTE: From Adams and 2nd Avenue, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to W 24th Street, east on 24th to Hoover Street. North on Hoover to Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard, east on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street. East on 1st to Spring Street, north on Spring to Main Street north and east on Main and Mission Road to Selig Place.

 

FEBRUARY 15, 1925: Route extended west from 2nd and Adams Avenues, west on Adams to Alsace Avenue.

 

APRIL 6, 1926: Because of the rebuilding of Spring Street north of W. 1st Street (due to building the new City Hall) line was routed west on 1st Street to Main Street.

 

JULY 4, 1926: Rerouted and renamed A-2 West Adams and Griffin Avenue Line.
A-2-WEST ADAMS AND GRIFFIN AVENUE LINE (1926-1930)

 

Formed from the W. Adams portion of the A-2-West Adams and North Main Street Line and the Griffin Avenue portion of the C-Griffith and Griffin Avenue Line, July 4, 1926. Service on N. Main Street was taken over by the O-Main Street Line.

 

ROUTE: From Alsace and Adams Avenues, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to West 24th Street, east on 24th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard. East on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street, east on 1st to Main Street, north on Main to Sunset Boulevard, west on Sunset to North Broadway. North on Broadway and Pasadena Avenue to Avenue 26, east on Avenue 26 to Griffin Avenue, north on Griffin to Montecito Drive.

 

JUNE 13, 1930: Renamed and rerouted as the second A-West Adams and North Main and the A-West Adams and Griffin Avenue Line.

 

A-3 WEST ADAMS AND LINCOLN PARK LINE (1924-1930)

 

Formed from the North Broadway branch of the A-West Adams and North Main Street Line, Dec. 3, 1924.

 

ROUTE: From Alsace and Adams Avenues, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, east on Normandie to 24th Street, east of 24th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover and Burlington to Venice Boulevard, east on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street, east on 1st to Spring Street, north on Spring and Main Streets to Sunset Boulevard, west on Sunset to North Broadway, north on Broadway to Lincoln Park Avenue, south on Lincoln Park to Mission Road.

 

APRIL 6, 1926: Due to the rebuilding of Spring Street and track laying through the Broadway Tunnel, the line was rerouted from W. 1st Street and Broadway, north on Broadway to Lincoln Park Avenue, south to Mission Road.

 

JUNE 13, 1930: Made part of the 2nd A, which combined the A-2 West Adams and Griffin Avenue Line and the A-3 West Adams and Lincoln Park Lines.

 

2nd A WEST ADAMS AND LINCOLN PARK and WEST ADAMS AND GRIFFIN AVENUE LINE (1930-1932)

 

Formed from the A-2 West Adams and Griffin Avenue Line and the A-3 West Adams and Lincoln Park Line, June 13, 1930, with no change of routes.

 

ROUTE: From Alsace and Adams Avenues, east of Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to W. 24th, east on 24th to Hoover Street. North on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard, east on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street. East on 1st to Broadway, north on Broadway to the junction of Broadway and Pasadena Avenue, where one branch continued east on Broadway to Lincoln Park Avenue, then south on Lincoln Park to Mission Road, the other branch going east on Pasadena Avenue and Avenue 26 to Griffin Avenue, north on Griffin to Montecito Drive.

 

JUNE 12, 1932: Rerouted and renamed West Adams and Angeleno Heights Line.

 

A-WEST ADAMS AND ANGELENO HEIGHTS LINE (1932-1938)

 

Formed the Adams Avenue portion of the A-West Adams Line and the Angeleno Heights portion of the G-Griffith and Angeleno Heights Line, June 12, 1932.

 

ROUTE: From Adams and Alsace Avenues, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue north on Normandie to W. 24th Street. East on 24th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard, east on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street. East on 1st to Broadway, north on Broadway to Temple Street, west on Temple to Hill, north on Hill to California Street, west on California to Bunker Hill Avenue, north on Bunker Hill to Boston Avenue. West on Boston to Figueroa Street, north on Figueroa to Alpine Street, west on Alpine to Beaudry Avenue, south on Beaudry to the corner of Beaudry, Sunset Boulevard, and Bellevue Avenue. Former line on Griffin transferred to a new 2-Griffin and Crown Hill Line, line on North Broadway to a new O-Lincoln Park, Vernon, and Arlington Line.

 

NOVEMBER 11, 1934: North end divided at Temple and Hill Streets, with the Angeleno Heights branch to Bellevue Avenue and Sunset Boulevard unchanged. New service from Hill and Temple Streets, west on Temple to Edgeware Road, north on Edgeware to Douglas Street, north on Douglas to Kensington Road. (no service north of Temple Street and Edgeware Road nights or on Sunday.)

 

MARCH 1, 1938: Rail service abandoned from Temple and Hill Streets to Bellevue Avenue and Sunset Boulevard; renamed West Adams and Edgeware Road Line.

 

A-WEST ADAMS AND EDGEWARE ROAD LINE (1938-1939)

 

Formed from the A-West Adams and Angeleno Heights Line to Douglas Street and Kensington Road, March 1, 1938 (no service nights or Sunday north of Temple.)

 

ROUTE: From W. Adams and Alsace Avenues, east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to West 24th Street, east on 24th to Hoover Street. North on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard, east on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street. East on 1st to Broadway, north on Broadway to Temple Street, west on Temple to Edgeware Road, north on Edgeware to Douglas Street, north on Douglas to Kensington Road.

 

JULY 31, 1938: Sunday service on Edgeware Road branch restored.

 

JULY 16, 1939: Rerouted from W. 1st and Hill Streets, north on Hill through the Pacific Electric Railway lower Hill Street Tunnel to Temple Street, eliminating the jog via 1st and Broadway to Temple Street.

 

SEPTEMBER 24, 1939: Revised, became the A-West Adams and West Temple Street Line.

 

A-WEST ADAMS AND WEST TEMPLE STREET LINE (1939-1946)

 

Formed from the W. Adams portion of the A-West Adams and Edgeware Road Line, and the Temple Street portion of the L-West 11th and West Temple Street Line, September 25, 1939 (service on W. 11th Street abandoned; service on Edgeware Road transferred to the 10-West Vernon and Edgeware Road Line.)

 

ROUTE: From W. Adams and Alsace Avenues east on Adams to Normandie Avenue, north on Normandie to W. 24th Street, east on 24th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover and Burlington Avenue to Venice Boulevard. East on Venice to Hill Street, north on Hill to Temple Avenue, west on Temple to N. Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Clinton Avenue, west on Clinton to Virgil Avenue, north on Virgil to Fountain Avenue, west on Fountain to Edgemont Street.

 

OCTOBER 28, 1942: Cut back from Fountain and Edgemont to Fountain and Berendo Avenues.

 

NOVEMBER 30, 1942: Cut back from Fountain and Berendo to Fountain and Vermont Avenues.

 

JUNE 30, 1946: Rail service abandoned.