Formed from the Los Angeles Railway Companys Eagle Rock Line
and the Los Angeles
and Redondo Railways Inglewood Line. Through service begun in
ROUTE: From Colorado Boulevard and Townsend Street, west on Colorado to Eagle Rock Boulevard. South on Eagle Rock to Cypress Avenue, east
on Cypress to
right-of-way at Pepper Street,
east on right-of-way and Avenue 28 to Dayton Street (N.
Figueroa.) South on Dayton to
Avenue 20 (San Fernando Road), southeast on Avenue 20 to Pasadena Avenue, south
on Pasadena and North Broadway to Sunset Boulevard, east on Sunset to Main
Street, south on Main and Spring Streets to W. 1st Street. West on 1st to
Broadway, south on Broadway and Broadway
Place to Main
Street, south on Main
to Jefferson Avenue. West on Jefferson
to Grand Avenue, south
on right-of-way along Grand to right-of-way along Santa Barbara Avenue (King Boulevard.) Onto Leimert Boulevard, southwest on Leimert
to Crenshaw Boulevard, south on Crenshaw to right-of-way along Redondo
Boulevard, then on right-of-way to Market Street, south on Market, La Brea
Avenue and Hawthorne Avenue to Broadway in Hawthorne.
MAY 9, 1920: Became the F-Line with
F-EAST 4th AND SOUTH
VERMONT LINE (1920-1946)
Formed from the South Vermont and 4th Street Line, and parts of
the Vermont Heights Line and the South Vermont Line. Placed in operation May 9,
ROUTE: From Vermont
and Manchester Avenues northeast on right-of-way from Vermont
to Hoover Street, north
on Hoover to Santa Barbara Avenue
(King Boulevard.) And also from Arlington and Vernon Avenues, west on Vernon
to Dalton Avenue, north
on Dalton to Santa Barbara Avenue. East on Santa Barbara to Hoover Street, where it joined the Hoover Street
branch. Continuing east on Santa Barbara to Grand
Avenue, north on Grand to Jefferson Avenue, east on Jefferson to Main
Street. North on Main to E. 3rd Street, east
on 3rd to Traction
Avenue, east on Traction to Merrick Street. South on Merrick
to E. 4th, east on 4th to Euclid Avenue, where the line split. One branch turned south on Euclid
to Whittier Boulevard,
the other continued east on 4th to Fresno Street, then north on Fresno to E.
1st Street (Evergreen Cemetery.)
DECEMBER 20, 1920: Extended from Vermont
and Manchester Avenues south on Vermont
to W. 116th Street,
replacing the South Vermont Shuttle.
JULY 20, 1924: Service on the Dalton Avenue-Vernon Avenue branch
terminated; line became the Dalton Avenue Shuttle.
SEPTEMBER 8, 1924: Service on the Euclid Avenue branch terminated, line
became part of the Euclid-Evergreen Shuttle.
JUNE 1926: Due to construction work along Jefferson Avenue,
rerouted north on Grand Avenue
to W. 11th Street, west
on 11th to Main Street.
AUGUST 1926: Normal
routing resumed from Grand Avenue
via Jefferson Avenue,
to Main Street.
FEBRUARY 23, 1930: Due to the rebuilding of the E. 4th Street
Viaduct, the following route changes were made:
on the west side of the Los
was terminated at E. 4th
Street and Merrick Avenue.
the east side of the river, certain cars of the E. 1st Street
section of the P-Pico-East 1st Street Line were diverted south at
1st and Cummings Street via Cummings to E. 4th
Street. Then east on 4th to Fresno Avenue, north
on Fresno to E. 1st Street,
where they resumed normal routing.
shuttle service was established on E.
4th Street from Anderson Avenue (just east of the Los Angeles River) east to Cummings Street. This was terminated August 13, 1930 for lack
on the west side was extended west to E.
3rd Street on new trackage from E. 4th
and Merrick Avenue
on the newly built E. 4th
was abandoned on Merrick Street,
and East 3rd Street
to Alameda Street,
where the new trackage ended.
JULY 1931: Service restored to E. 1st Street and Fresno Avenue via
the new viaduct.
FEBRUARY 7, 1946: Due to the construction of the Santa Ana
Freeway, the line was cut back to E. 4th Street and Anderson Avenue
(just east of Los Angeles River), with the balance abandoned.
JUNE 30, 1946: Line abandoned east of E. 3rd and Main Street via E. 3rd Street, E.
4th Place, and E. 4th
Rerouted to Spring Street and Sunset Boulevard and renamed the F-South Vermont and Civic Center Line.
F-SOUTH VERMONT AND CIVIC
CENTER LINE (1946-1947)
Formed from the western section of
the F East 4th and South Vermont Line; operation begun June 6,
ROUTE: From W. 116th Street and S.
Vermont Avenue, north on Vermont to Manchester Avenue, northeast on
right-of-way from Vermont Avenue to Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Santa
Barbara Avenue (King Boulevard ), east on Santa
Barbara to Grand Avenue, north on Grand to Jefferson Avenue, east on Jefferson
to Main Street, north on Main to Spring Street, north on Spring to Sunset
AUGUST 3, 1947: Rerouted on both ends and renamed the F-South Vermont and North Main Street Line.
F-SOUTH VERMONT AND North MAIN STREET
Formed from the
South Vermont Avenue section of the F-South Vermont and Civic Center Line,
Vermont Avenue section of the U-University and Central Avenue Line, and the
South Main Street section of the O-North and South Main Street Line, service
starting August 3, 1947.
ROUTE. From W. 116th
Street and S. Vermont, north on Vermont to Santa Barbara Avenue (King
Boulevard), east on Santa Barbara to Grand Avenue, north on Grand to Jefferson
Avenue, east on Jefferson to Main Street, north on Main Street and Mission Road
to Selig Place (Lincoln Park.) Trackage
on the right-of-way between Vermont and Manchester Avenue
and Hoover Street
and on Hoover
north to W. 48th Street
was abandoned with no replacement, as was the former U-Line trackage north of
Santa Barbara Avenue
and on Central Avenue,
and the southern section of the O-Line.
24, 1949: Rerouted on north end and renamed
the F-South Vermont and Union Station Line.
F-SOUTH VERMONT AND UNION
STATION LINE (1949-1955)
Formed from the F-South Vermont
and North Main Street Line as far north as Main
and Macy Streets Service started April 24, 1949.
ROUTE. From W. 116th Street
and South Vermont Avenue, north
on Vermont to
Santa Barbara Avenue
(King Boulevard.) East on Santa Barbara to Grand Avenue, north
on Grand to Jefferson Avenue, east on Jefferson to South Main Street, north on
Main to Macy Street, east on Macy to the Union Terminal Loop at Macy and
Alameda Streets. Line north of Macy Street
transferred to the 8-West 48th
Street and Lincoln Park Line.
JULY 18, 1949: Due to construction work on Macy Street,
rerouted from Main and Spring Streets north on
Spring to Sunset Boulevard.
OCTOBER 4, 1949: Routed back to the Union Station Loop.
MAY 5, 1955: Rail Service abandoned.