L-WEST 11th and North MAIN STREET LINE (1920-1932)

 

Formed from the western branch of the San Pedro and W. 11th Street Line, and the Main Street branch of the Grand and North Broadway Line. Service begun May 9, 1920.

 

ROUTE: From Mullen Avenue and Olympic Boulevard, east on Olympic to Country Club Avenue, east on Country Club to Victoria Avenue, north on Victoria to W. 10th Street. East on 10th to Hoover Street, south on Hoover to W. 11th Street. East on 11th (with a short jog on Figueroa Street) to Hill Street, north on Hill to W. 1st Street. East on 1st to Spring Street, north on Spring to Main Street, north on Main to Sunset, then (northbound only) on Main to Mission Road. East on Mission to Lincoln Park Avenue, returning north on Lincoln Park to North Broadway, then (southbound only) west and south on Broadway to Sunset Boulevard, east on Sunset to Main Street where it joined the northbound route back to Olympic and Mullen. The loop section was served by the A-Adams Line in the opposite direction.

 

AUGUST 1924: All service rerouted on Mission Road to Selig Place. All service on North Broadway to Lincoln Park Avenue transferred to the A-Line.

 

DECEMBER 3, 1924: Rerouted on north end, from N. Main Street and Sunset Boulevard, west on Sunset to N. Spring Street, north on Spring to Ord Street. Service north on Sunset and Main taken over by the A-2-Line.

 

MAY 1925: Split at Sunset Boulevard and N. Spring Street, one branch going north on Spring to Ord Street (as before), the other continuing west on Sunset to North Broadway north on Broadway and Pasadena Avenue to Avenue 20, west on Avenue 20 to Dayton Avenue (N. Figueroa), northeast on Dayton to Avenue 28, northwest on Avenue 28 and right-of-way to Cypress Avenue, northwest on Cypress to Verdugo Road, where a joint terminal with the Glendale and Montrose Railway had been built (this point was originally served for a short time by the O-Line as well as by the regular service of the E-Eagle Rock Line.)

 

OCTOBER 1925: Due to construction work on W. 10th Street, a shuttle was established from 10th and Bronson Avenue to Olympic and Mullen Avenue.

 

NOVEMBER 1925: Normal service to Olympic Boulevard and Mullen Avenue resumed.

 

APRIL 6, 1926: Due to rebuilding Spring Street, the line was rerouted directly from Hill Street on W. 1st to Main Street. The connection between Spring and Main Streets was eliminated as part of the rebuilding of Spring to accommodate the new City Hall.

 

JULY 4, 1926: Due to a lack of patronage, service to the Glendale and Montrose Railways depot at Cypress Avenue and Verdugo Road was canceled and the line was also rerouted in downtown. It was cut back from W. 11th and Hill Street, to 11th and Flower Street, north on Flower to W. 10th Street (Olympic Avenue), east on 10th to S. Main Street, north on Main to Spring Street, north on Spring to Court Street. Service was dropped on Hill Street, W. 1st, Main Street, Sunset Boulevard and N. Spring to Ord Street.

 

SEPTEMBER 1927: Due to rebuilding the E. 1st Street Viaduct, line extended from Spring and Court Streets, north on Spring to 1st Street, east on 1st to Vignes Street (just west of Los Angeles River.) The P-East 1st Street Line which normally served this route was detoured via the Macy Street Bridge.

 

SPRING 1928: Routed back from E. 1st and Vignes Streets to a new terminal at Spring and Temple Streets.

 

JUNE 12, 1932: Again rerouted via Hill Street from 11th to Temple Street and renamed the L-West 11th and West Temple Street Line. Route on Flower Street, W. 10th, Main and Spring Streets to Temple was dropped.

 

L-WEST 11th and WEST TEMPLE STREET LINE (1932-1939)

 

Formed from the W. 11th Street branch of the L-West 11th and North Main Street Line and the Temple Street branch of the C-Crown Hill and Temple Street Line. Service begun June 12, 1932.

 

ROUTE: From Olympic Boulevard and Mullen Street, east on Olympic and Country Club Avenue to Victoria Avenue. North on Victoria to W. 10th Street, east on 10th to Hoover Street, south on Hoover to W. 11th Street. East on 11th to Hill Street, north on Hill, W. 1st Street, east on 1st to Broadway, north on Broadway to Temple Street, west on Temple to N. Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Clinton Street. West on Clinton to Virgil Avenue, north on Virgil to Fountain Avenue, west on Fountain to Edgemont Street.

 

JULY 24, 1938: Northern terminal cut back from Edgemont and Fountain to Berendo Street and Fountain from 10:00pm until 6:00am to avoid disturbing the patients at a nearby hospital.

 

JULY 16, 1939: Line on Hill Street rerouted through Pacific Electrics south Hill Street Tunnel, avoiding the jog via 1st Street to Broadway and Broadway to Temple.

 

SEPTEMBER 24, 1939: Routed off Temple and Hill Streets to a new terminal, via Main and Spring Streets to Sunset Boulevard and Spring Street and renamed the L West 11th and Civic Center Line.

 

L-WEST 11th and CIVIC CENTER LINE (1939-1940)

 

Formed from the southern portion of the L-West 11th and West Temple Street Line. Service begun September 24, 1939.

 

ROUTE: From Olympic Boulevard and Mullen Street, east on Olympic and Country Club Avenue to Victoria Avenue. North on Victoria to W. 10th Street, east on 10th and Olympic (10th was then being rebuilt as Olympic) to Hoover Street. South on Hoover to W. 11th Street, east on 11th to Main Street, north on Main and Spring Streets to Sunset Boulevard (the Civic Center.)

 

APRIL 19, 1940: Cut back to Olympic Boulevard and Menlo Avenue due to the rebuilding of W. 10th as Olympic Boulevard.

 

MAY 26, 1940. Rail service abandoned.