AVENUE LINE (1917-1920)
Formed from that portion of the Homeward and Vermont Avenue Line
south of Manchester
and Moneta Avenues.
ROUTE: From Moneta Avenue (South Broadway) and Manchester Avenue, south
on Moneta to Athens Way, south
on Athens Way
to W. 116th Street.
MAY 9, 1920: Became part of the South
Broadway branch of the ‘M’-Line.
Formed from the western section of the Grand Avenue and North Broadway Line
(from W. 54th Street
and Crenshaw Avenue
to Lincoln Heights Avenue
and Mission Road
via 54th Street,
Hoover, Grand, 7th Street and North Broadway)
and the Moneta Avenue
branch of the Main Street Line. (From Manchester and Moneta Avenue to Highland Park via Moneta, Main,
North Broadway, Pasadena Avenue,
and N. Figueroa Street.)
ROUTE: From Crenshaw Avenue and W. 54th Street, east on 54th
to 2nd Avenue. North on 2nd to W. 48th Street, east on 48th
and right-of-way to Hoover Street. North on Hoover
to Santa Barbara (King) Avenue, east on
right-of-way along Santa Barbara
to Grand Avenue. North on right-of-way along
Grand to W. 11th
Street, east on 11th to Broadway, north
on Broadway to W. 2nd
East on 2nd to Spring Street, south on Spring and Main
Streets to Moneta Avenue, south on Moneta to W. 54th Street, where
it split. One branch went west on 54th Street
to 2nd Avenue,
the other continued south on Moneta to Manchester Avenue.
1920: Trackage on W 54th and W. 48th
reconciled W. 54th extended to Crenshaw from 2nd Avenue, W. 48th
Street terminated at 2nd
Avenue south front 48th to 54th
was then used exclusively as access to the new Division 5 Car Barn at 54th
and 2nd Avenue.
1920: W. 48th extended west from 2nd Avenue
to 6th Avenue
and W. 48th Street.
1923: Cut back on Grand Avenue from W. 11th Street to Pico Avenue, then
east on to Broadway.
1924: Moneta Avenue Line extended south
from Manchester Avenue
to Athens Avenue, south
on Athens to W. 116th Street,
taking over operation of the South Broadway Shuttle.
1924: Two new branches established (on
trackage already in use by other lines):
Hoover Street and Santa Barbara Avenue west on Santa Barbara to Dalton Avenue,
south on Dalton to Vernon, west on Vernon to Arlington Avenue.
west to 3rd Avenue.
were through-routed with the W. 54th
Street branch and the W. 48th Street branch was
through-routed with the Moneta
1930: Service on the Santa Barbara
Avenue branch, from Hoover Street west to 3rd Avenue, reduced to
morning rush hour service on weekdays and Saturday; no Sunday service.
1931: West 48th Street Line extended
west from 48th and 6th
Avenue to 48th and Crenshaw Avenue.
1932: Line broken up. Service on Moneta Avenue (South Broadway)
became the ‘7’- and ‘8’-Lines, W. 48th and W. 54th became
the ‘9’-Line, while Dalton and Vernon became the ‘10’-Line.
‘M’-MATEO STREET LINE
Formed from the Mateo Street Shuttle, operation begun May
ROUTE: From E. 1st Street
and Santa Fe Avenue, south on Santa Fe and Mateo Street to E. 7th
OCTOBER 4, 1941: Rail service