SOUTH MAIN AND WEST 8th STREET LINE (1918-1920)

 

Formed from the S. Main Street branch of the Main Street Line and the W. 8th Street branch of the W. 8th Street and E. 4th Street Line.

 

ROUTE: From Slauson Avenue and S. Main Street, north on Main to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Hill Street, south on Hill to W. 8th Street, west on 8th to Lake Street. North on Lake to W. 7th Street, west on 7th to Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Wilshire Boulevard, west on Wilshire to Commonwealth Avenue, north on Commonwealth to W. 1st Street, west on 1st to Virgil Avenue.

 

MAY 9, 1920: Abandoned on Commonwealth Avenue north from W. 6th Street to W. 1st and Virgil Avenue. The section on W. 7th from Lake Street west to Hoover Street, north on Hoover to Wilshire, west on Wilshire to Commonwealth and north on Commonwealth Avenue to W. 6th Street was made part of the S-Line. The route on Main Street went to the O-Line.

 

AUGUST 13, 1920: Abandoned on W. 8th Street from Hill Street west to Lake Street and north on Lake to W. 7th Street.

 

++++++++++++++++++++

 

O-SOUTH MAIN STREET LINE (1920-1926)

 

Formed from the Main Street portion of the South Main Street and West 8th Street Line; the portion on the W. 8th Street was abandoned April 13, 1920. Service begun May 9, 1920.

 

ROUTE: From S. Main Street and Slauson Avenue, north on Main to Sunset Boulevard, west on Sunset to N Spring Street, north on Spring to Ord Street.

 

FEBRUARY 3, 1924: North end split, with branch to Spring and Ord Streets retained. New branch went from Spring and Sunset Boulevard, west on Sunset to North Broadway, north on Broadway and Pasadena Avenue to Avenue 20 (San Fernando Road.) North on Avenue 20 to Dayton Avenue (N. Figueroa Avenue), north on Dayton to Avenue 28, west on Avenue 28 and right-of-way to Cypress Avenue. Northwest on Cypress to Verdugo Road, where a new joint terminal with the Glendale and Montrose Railway was established (trackage on Cypress Avenue was shared with the E-Eagle Rock Line.)

 

JUNE 1924: Service to Cypress Avenue and Verdugo Road terminated; all service cut back to N. Spring and Ord Streets. (In 1925 service was restored for a short time to Cypress and Verdugo Road by the L-Line.)

 

JULY 4, 1926: Rerouted north from Sunset Boulevard and N. Main Street, northeast on Main and Mission Road to Selig Place; service to N. Spring and Ord Streets dropped. Renamed the O-North and South Main Street Line.

 

O-NORTH AND SOUTH MAIN STREET LINE (1926-1947)

 

Formed from the O-South Main Street Line, service begun July 4, 1926.

 

ROUTE: From S. Main Street and Slauson Avenue, north on Main Street and Mission Road to Selig Place (Lincoln Park), taking over service of the A-2-Line.

 

AUGUST 9, 1931: Extended south on brand new track, via S. Main from Slauson Avenue to Florence Boulevard (A surprising move, given the Depression.)

 

AUGUST 3, 1947: Rail service on S. Main Street from Florence Boulevard north to Broadway Place abandoned; service north on Main Street from Jefferson Avenue north to Selig Place taken over by the F-South Vermont and North Main Street Line.