Formed from the eastern portion of the 7th and Stephenson Line.
ROUTE: From Hope and W. 7th Street east on 7th to Boyle Street, north on Boyle to Stephenson Avenue (Whittier Boulevard), east on Stephenson to Eastern Avenue.
MAY 9, 1920: Became part of the ‘R’-
Formed from the Stephenson Avenue Line and the
ROUTE: From Eastern Avenue and Whittier Boulevard, west on Whittier to Boyle Avenue, south on Boyle to E. 7th Street, west on 7th to Alvarado Street, north on Alvarado to W. 6th Street, west on 6th to right-of-way near Gramercy Place, north on right-of-way to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to Larchmont Boulevard, north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue.
1920: Service cut back to
1923: Service restored by ‘R’-Line west
from Rampart Boulevard and W. 6th Street to Larchmont Boulevard and
Melrose Avenue. A new branch was
established by taking over a shuttle operation from W. 3rd and
Larchmont, west on 3rd Street to
1924: Due to power shortage, service on
JANUARY 4, 1926: Full service
AUGUST 22, 1926. Due to rebuilding the E. 7th Street trestle, line detoured from E. 7th Street and Boyle Avenue, south on new trackage on Boyle to E. 9th Street (Olympic Boulevard), west on new trackage on 9th Street Viaduct to Mateo Street, north on Existing trackage on Mateo Street (‘J’-Line) to 7th Street where it rejoined original routing.
SEPTEMBER 19, 1927:
JANUARY 11, 1931: Utilizing new trackage on W. 3rd Street west from Western Avenue west to Gramercy Place, line rerouted (with no change of name) from Whittier Boulevard, west on Whittier to Boyle Avenue, south on Boyle to E. 7th Street, west on 7th to Vermont Avenue, north on Vermont to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to La Brea Avenue, Larchmont branch transferred to a new ‘3’-Line.
DECEMBER 11, 1937:
FEBRUARY 11, 1943: Experimental turnback service established in conjunction with the ‘3’-Line, utilizing a loop formed by W. 6th Street, Gramercy right of-way, W. 3rd Street and Vermont Avenue back to W. 6th Street, with certain cars utilizing this loop instead of going to their western terminus. (apparently this experiment lasted only a short time.)
AUGUST 3, 1947: Revised and renamed
Formed by revision of the
1948: Line revised, rerouted from W. 3rd
1950: West end of line rerouted to
Formed from a
revision of the ‘R’-
ROUTE: From Whittier Boulevard and Brannick Street loop, west on Whittier to Boyle Street,
south on Boyle to E. 7th Street, west on 7th to Vermont
Avenue, north on Vermont to W. 3rd Street, west on 3rd to
Larchmont Boulevard, north on Larchmont to Melrose Avenue, taking over ‘S’-Line
service on 3rd and Larchmont.
The balance of service to La Brea was taken over by ‘3’-(trolley coach)
Line, which was extended to
JUNE 1954: Service cut back to W. 3rd and
MARCH 3, 1963: All rail service abandoned.