ROUTE: From the Santa Fe Railroad Station at E. 2nd
Street and Santa Fe Avenue, south on Santa Fe to E. 3rd Street. West on 3rd to Hill Street, south
on Hill to W. 8th Street, west on 8th to Figueroa Street,
south on Figueroa to W. 11th Street, west on 11th to
Georgia Avenue, south on Georgia to W. 16th Street. West on 16th (Venice Boulevard) to
Burlington and Hoover Street to W. 24th Street, west on 24th
to Vermont Avenue, south on Vermont to Jefferson Avenue, west on Jefferson to
Arlington Avenue. The line was made part
of the Los Angeles Railway.
Formed from the Los Angeles
Consolidated Electric Railway’s University Line.
ROUTE: From Vermont
and Santa Monica
Avenues, north on McClintock
Avenue to W. 32nd, east on 32nd
to Hoover Street. North on Hoover
to Union Avenue, northeast
on Union to W. 23rd to Estrella Avenue. North on Estrella to W.
Washington Avenue, east on Washington to Flower Street, north on Flower to W. 10th Street. East on 10th to Broadway, north on
Broadway to W. 4th
Street, east on 4th to Spring Street,
north on Spring to W. 2nd Street.
1901: Extended south on Vermont from Santa Monica Street to W. 46th
(then 39th) Street, east on 46th to Agricultural
1905: For a short time the line was extended north
via Main Street, Sunset Boulevard, Buena Vista
Street (North Broadway) and Pasadena
Avenue where it split:
One branch went north on Griffin Avenue to Avenue 33.
The other went west on Avenue 20, Dayton Avenue (N. Figueroa), Marmion Way
and Monte Vista Street
to Avenue 60.
only lasted until about 1907, when the line was rerouted back to the Temple Block
at Main and Temple Streets.
NOVEMBER 1910: Made part of the Los Angles Railway
Corporation’s University and Central line.
AND CENTRAL LINE (1910-1920)
Formed from the
Los Angeles Railway Company’s University Line and Central Line, plus
trackage built by the Los Angeles and Redondo Railway Company (for the Los
Angeles Railway Company) on Dalton Street.
ROUTE: From Slauson and Central Avenues, north on
Central to E. 2nd
Street, west on 2nd to Spring Street,
south on Spring to W. 10th Street. West on 10th Street, south on
Flower to Washington Avenue, west on Washington Avenue to Estrella
Avenue, south on Estrella to W. 23rd
Street. West on 23rd to Union
Avenue, south on Union and Hoover Street to W. 32nd Street, west on
32nd to McClintock Avenue, southwest on McClintock to Vermont
Avenue, south on Vermont to W. 39th Street. Here it split into three branches:
on 39th to the entrance to Agricultural (Exposition) Park.
on 39th and via 39th, Denker Street
and 39th to Western
on Vermont to Santa Barbara Avenue west on Santa Barbara to Dalton
Avenue, south on Dalton to W. 45th Street.
FEBRUARY 1915: Abandoned on W. 39th
to the gate of Agricultural
1919: Dalton Avenue branch cut back from W. 45th
Street to Vernon Avenue, then routed west on Vernon to Arlington Avenue.
1920: Became the ‘U’-University and
Central Avenue Line, rerouted on Flower, W. 10th and Spring
Streets. The new route was from Washington Avenue
and Figueroa Street, north
on Figueroa to W. 6th
Street, east on 6th to Olive Street, north
on Olive to W. 5th
Street, east on 5th to Central Avenue. Trackage on Central from E. 2nd Street to E. 5th Street
was retained as service trackage.
AND CENTRAL AVENUE
Formed from the University and Central Line and the Manchester Avenue
branch of the Vermont Avenue
and E. 4th Street
Line. Service began May 9, 1920.
ROUTE: From Manchester
and S. Vermont Avenues, and also from S.
Western Avenue and W. 39th Street, east on 39th
to Vermont Avenue. Both branches turn north on Vermont to McClintock Avenue, northeast on
McClintock to W. 32nd
Street, east on 32nd to Hoover Street. North on Hoover
to Union Avenue, northeast
on Union to W. 23rd Street, east on 23rd
North on Estrella to Washington Avenue, east
to Figueroa Street, north
on Figueroa to W. 6th
East on 6th to Olive, north on Olive to W. 5th Street. East on 5th to Central Avenue, south
on Central to Slauson Avenue. This routing involved one of the biggest
changes then made in the downtown.
Originally the line went east on Washington to Flower Street, north on
Flower to W. 10th Street, east on 10th to Main Street,
north on Main to Spring Street, north on Spring to 2nd Street, east
on 2nd to Central Avenue, south on Central to Slauson Avenue. Trackage on Flower Street and W. 10th was
transferred to the ‘W’-Line Trackage on Central between 2nd Street and 5th Street
was retained for shop access.
1920: Line on S. Vermont Avenue cut back from Manchester Avenue
to Florence Avenue South
taken over by ‘F’-Line.
1928: W. 5th Street cut
through from Olive Street
to Figueroa Street,
with the line rerouted off 6th
Street to W. 5th eliminating the jog
south of Olive from 5th to 6th Streets. Trackage abandoned on Olive from 5th Street
JULY 9, 1930: Night service on W. 39th Street
branch taken over by a shuttle.
OCTOBER 19, 1930: Night service on W. 39th Street
JUNE 12, 1932: Service on the W. 39th Street
branch transferred to the ‘K’-Line.
AUGUST 14, 1932: Service on W. 39th Street
branch restored to the ‘U’-Line.
OCTOBER 5, 1941: Rail service on W. 39th Street
1947: ‘U’-Line eliminated. ‘F’-Line takes over portion on S. Vermont from Florence
Avenue to Santa Barbara Avenue. Trackage on McClintock, 32nd,
23rd and Estrella Avenue abandoned with
no replacement. Service on Central
Avenue taken over by the ‘3’ Trolley Coach Line.