VERNON AND VERMONT AVENUE LINE
Formed from new
trackage on Vernon Avenue
from Santa Fe Avenue, west
on Vernon to Vermont,
on Vermont trackage used by the Georgia Street
Line north to W. 24th
Street, and new trackage on Vermont to W. 1st Street.
ROUTE: From Santa Fe
and Vernon Avenues, west on Vernon to Vermont, north on Vermont
to W. 1st Street. At change-of-class times at the Los Angeles
Normal School, certain cars were routed north via the Heliotrope branch of the
Boyle Heights and West 7th Street Line, west on 1st from
Vermont to New Hampshire Avenue, north on New Hampshire to Beverly, west on
Beverly to Heliotrope Drive, north on Heliotrope to Melrose Avenue, west on
Melrose to Normandie Avenue.
MAY 9, 1920: Designated the ‘V’-Line,
with no change of route.
‘V’-VERNON AND VERMONT
Formed from the Vernon and Vermont Line May 9,
ROUTE: From Vernon
and Santa Fe Avenues, west on Vernon to S. Vermont Avenue, north
on Vermont to
W. 1st Street.
1923: Line extended on both ends. Extended on the south from Vernon
and Santa Fe Avenues south on Santa Fe
to Slauson Avenue
on trackage transferred from the ‘J’-Line.
Extended on the north on new trackage from W. 1st
and Vermont Avenue, north
on Vermont to Monroe Street, west on Monroe to New Hampshire Avenue. (The original campus of the southern branch of the University of California,
(UCLA), later the campus of Los
Angeles City College.)
JUNE 1924: Due to power shortage, service cut back to W. 1st Street
and Vermont Avenue
at the end of the college term.
1924: With the new school term, service
restored to Monroe and New Hampshire during school rush hours; full
service resumed a short time later.
1926: On the south end a second branch
was opened, from Vernon
and Santa Fe Avenues, south on Pacific
Boulevard (using ‘J’-Line trackage) to Leonis Boulevard,
east on new trackage built on Leonis
to Downey Avenue.
1948: Due to building the Hollywood
Freeway, service was cut back to W. 1st and Vermont Avenue, where a new loop was
built using some of the old ‘H’-Line trackage on 1st and Bimini Place.
JANUARY 1, 1950: Service restored to Monroe Street and New Hampshire Avenue.
1955: Service abandoned on the Santa Fe Avenue
branch (from Vernon Avenue
and Santa Fe Avenue
to Slauson Avenue)
and the Leonis
Boulevard branch (from Pacific Boulevard to Downey Avenue.) A new loop was built in the Vernon Yard at Pacific Boulevard
and Vernon Avenue.
MARCH 31, 1963: All rail service