PARK LINE (1895-1902)
Formed from the Los Angeles
Consolidated Railway’s line of the same name, a horsecar line.
ROUTE: From W. 2nd and Main Street, north
on Main Street (Kuhrts Street, north of the Los
Angeles River) to Mission Road, east on Mission Road to Selig Place.
FALL 1895: Converted to electric
1902: Merged with the Maple Avenue Line
to form the Maple Avenue
and Eastlake Park Line.
Formed from the
Consolidated Railway’s line of the same name, built by the Los Angeles
Electric Railway Company, the original electric line in the city (which
ROUTE: From W. 5th and
Spring Streets, east on 5th to Maple Street, south on Maple to E. 32nd Street.
1902: Revised and rerouted on N. Main
and Mission Road
to Eastlake (Lincoln) Park and renamed the Maple Avenue and
Eastlake Park Line.
AND EASTLAKE PARK LINE (1902-1907)
Formed from the Maple Street
Line and the Kuhrts
Park Line in Spring 1902.
ROUTE: From E. 32nd Street and Maple
Avenue, north on Maple to E. 5th Street, west on 5th to
Spring Street, north on Spring and Main Streets to Mission Road, east on
Mission to Selig Place.
1904: Maple Avenue portion extended
south on Maple from 32nd to Woodlawn Avenue, south on Woodlawn to
Santa Barbara Avenue, east on Santa Barbara to Wall Street, south on Wall to
San Pedro Place, south on San Pedro Place to Vernon Avenue, west on Vernon to
1904: Extended further south, from San Pedro Place and
Wall Street, south
on Wall to E. 53rd
Street, east on 53rd to San Pedro
Avenue Trackage abandoned from Wall and San Pedro Place, south on San Pedro Place to Vernon, west on Vernon
to Main Street.
FALL 1907: Revised, with Eastlake Park
branch made part of the W. 11th and Main Street Line, the Maple Street branch
became the second Maple Avenue Line.
Formed from the Maple
Avenue branch of the Maple Avenue and Eastlake Park Line.
ROUTE: From Temple Block, south on Main to E. 5th
Street, east on 5th to Maple Avenue, south on Maple and Woodlawn
Avenues to Santa Barbara Avenue, east on Santa Barbara to Wall Street, south on
Wall Street to E. 53rd Street, east on 53rd to San Pedro
NOVEMBER 1910: Became the Maple Avenue Line
of the Los Angeles Railway Corporation.
AND GARVANZA LINE (1920-1932)
Formed from the west end of the Washington and Maple Avenue Line
and the north end of the Main Street Line. Service started May 9, 1920.
ROUTE: From W. Washington Avenue and Rimpau Street, east
to Flower Street. North on Flower to W. 10th Street, east
on 10th (Olympic Boulevard) to Main Street, north on Main
to Sunset Boulevard. West on
Sunset to North Broadway, north on Broadway and Pasadena Avenue to Avenue 20
(San Fernando Road), north on Avenue 20 to Dayton Avenue (N. Figueroa
Avenue.) North on Dayton, Marmion Way, right-of-way, Monte Vista Avenue to Avenue 61,
east on Avenue 61 to Piedmont Avenue, north on Piedmont to the junction of
Piedmont, York Boulevard and Annandale Boulevard (N. Figueroa Avenue), where
the line split. One branch went west on York to Avenue 50, the other northwest on Annandale
to Buena Vista Terrace, then via right-of-way to Eagle Rock Park.
FALL 1920: Rerouted downtown via
Spring Street from S. Main. to N. Main Street.
1926: Due to rebuilding Spring Street,
line rerouted from W. 1st and Spring, east
on 1st to N. Main
June 1926: Because of the opening of the Broadway Tunnel
to streetcar traffic, line again rerouted downtown, from W. Washington Avenue and Flower Street, north
on Flower to W. 11th
Street, east on 11th to Broadway, then
north on Broadway to the line’s regular route on North Broadway.
1928: North end of Annandale Boulevard branch (N. Figueroa Avenue)
cut back to Buena Vista Terrace. right-of-way north to
Eagle Rock Park
and a freight only continuation to an Edison Company power station were both
abandoned. Service to Eagle Rock Park had been Sundays only and the lease
on the park had run out.
1932: Name changed to ‘W’-West Washington and Highland Park Line with no change of
WASHINGTON AND HIGHLAND
PARK LINE (1932-1955)
Formed from the ‘W’-West Washington
and Garvanza Line with no change of route.
ROUTE: From Washington and Rimpau
Avenues, east on Washington to Flower
Street, north on Flower to W. 11th Street, east on 11th
to Broadway. North on Broadway and
Pasadena Avenue to San Fernando Road, west on San Fernando to N. Figueroa
Avenue. North on
Way and Monte
Vista Avenue to Avenue 61, south on Avenue 61 to N. Figueroa Street. North on Figueroa to
junction with York Boulevard
where line split. One branch went
west on York Boulevard
to Avenue 50; the other continued northwest on Figueroa to Buena Vista Terrace,
starting June 12, 1932.
1937: Rerouted again downtown, from W. Washington Avenue
and Figueroa Street, north
on Figueroa (rather than Flower
Street) to W. 11th Street; trackage on
1948: Trackage abandoned on N Figueroa
Street, north from York Boulevard to Buena Vista Terrace, all service to York
Boulevard and Avenue 50.
1955: Service north of Broadway and San Fernando
Road to York Boulevard and Avenue 50 abandoned; service routed east on Broadway
to Lincoln Park Avenue, south on Lincoln Park to Mission Road Renamed ‘W’-West
Washington and North Broadway Line.
‘W’-WEST WASHINGTON AND NORTH BROADWAY LINE (1955-1956)
Formed from the
‘W’-West Washington and Highland Park Line and
the north end of the ‘9’-West 48th and Lincoln Park Avenue Line, on
May 22, 1955.
ROUTE: From W. Washington and Rimpau
Avenue east on Washington to Figueroa Street, north on Figueroa to W. 11th
Street, east on 11th to Broadway, north on Broadway to Lincoln Park
Avenue, south on Lincoln Park to Mission Road; ‘9’-Line abandoned.
NOVEMBER 18, 1956:
Rail service abandoned.