Return to ERHA homepage
ROUTE: From Playa del Rey to Santa Monica, via private way, Pacific Ave.,
the Trolleyway and Ocean Ave.
HISTORY: From Santa Monica to Ocean Park, built 1896 by P&P. In 1901, line was extended to Venice Club House, single track but second track added in 1902. In 1902 and 1903 some work was done extending this line south from Venice and in 1905 it was extended to Playa del Rey, connecting there with the Redondo via del Rey Line.
PE took over this line in 1911 and operated it until abandonment on July 13, 1936.
OPERATION: As of 1911, this line was through-routed with the Third St. Line; a 30 minute headway was provided from 6:14 AM(from del Rey) to 10:14 PM, then 11:14 and 12:14 AM.
On November 1, 1913, service was offered on 15 minute headway; this line was through-routed simultaneously with the Third St. and Brentwood Lines.
August 10, 1916, saw this line operating form del Ray only to Windward Ave., Venice, which remained the northern terminus to the end.
As of December 29, 1919, 30 minute service was provided between 6:00 AM and 10:15 PM, then cars left Venice at 10:50, 11:20 and 12:01 AM.
In mid-1933 all night service was discontinued, the last car running at 7:00 PM.
After September 1, 1934 and on or by July 1, 1915, midday service was discontinued on weekdays; the 7-1-35 schedule shows cars departing from Venice at 5:50 AM and every 30 minutes to 8:50 AM, then at 2:20 PM and every 30 minutes to 6:42 PM. Sundays had continuous service on 30 minute headway from 7:42 AM to 6:12 PM. This schedule remained in effect until abandonment.
As of 1927, the Lagoon Line required one 200 Class PAYE one-man car with a second in reserve. A Birney was assigned to the line in the Thirties. The car was stored at the Ocean Park Carhouse.
Power came from the Playa del Rey and the Ocean Park Substations.
This line was double track throughout and rail was 60 Lb. T-rail laid on redwood ties with sand ballast.
As of 1927, this line was operating at a slight profit; however, the Railroad Commission recommended that it be through-routed with the Hollywood-Venice Line as an economy move. This was never done.
In the days before oil wells took over, the Lagoon Line offered a truly delightful trolley ride. On the one side was the blue Pacific, its wide sand beach and attractive vacation homes; on the other, the chain of lagoons, spanned at intervals by graceful concrete arches. This line took its name from the lagoons which fed the Venice canals.
The Lagoon Line deposited Venice passengers at its junction with the Redondo Line; a short walk south brought one to the famous cable railway whose cars, "Alphonse" and "Gaston", carried visitors up the steep palisades to the subdivision laid out on top.
The Lagoon Line was traversed regularly by the Balloon Route Trolley Trip cars which paused for lunch at the big wooden pavilion at Del Rey.
As a freight line, the Lagoon Line was of no importance whatsoever. Box motor and RPO cars traversed it as did the early morning newspaper train, but the only time the line every saw intense freight activity was when a jetty was being built such as the one at del Rey.
Return to ERHA homepage